Available from January 1 to September 28.
Burbot is a nocturnal, bottom-feeding and snake-like fish that unlike other species reproduces during winter. Its fishing season is from January to February.
The ice fishing of burbot is an exciting experience as it takes place in the dark during evening and night time. Burbots are not easy to catch, so a catch cannot be absolutely guaranteed, but when they strike, they can be big. Lake Uljua, situated about an hour's drive from Oulu, is known for its big burbots. In fact the Finnish national record burbot has been caught from Uljua.
On request we’ll arrange transportation from your accommodation in Oulu to Uljua. Otherwise the trip begins at The Uljua Cafe and continues with a car transportation to the shoreline. The best fishing spots are situated a 15-minute walk from the shoreline.
A snowmobile transportation to the fishing spots is optional.
At the fishing location everyone gets a chance to drill a hole in ice by themselves, and our fishing guide demonstrates how to attach the bait and how to lure the burbot with it.
On location there is a small heated pop-up tent on ice. On request we can also put up one or two big stove heated tents that provide warmth and comfort for both fishing and enjoying snacks. We will also put up a campfire on ice for preparing sausages and pot coffee.
If the weather is clear, it’s possible to experience a beautiful starry sky and even northern lights (aurora borealis).
On this trip the participants are allowed to take their catch with them. This is one of the most unforgettable winter experiences the Oulu region and Finland has to offer!
- Price: 120 € / person
- Price includes: Guidance, ice fishing rods, lures, baits, ice drill, seats, head lamps, one sonar fish finder for the whole group, heated pop-up tent, firewood and open fire on ice, sausages and pot coffee, fishing licences.
- Extra services: Rental of winter clothes (25 € / person), transportation from your accommodation and back (ask for price), snowmobile transportation on ice (250 € / group), big stove heated tent on ice (50 € / tent)
- Season: 01.01. - 28.02
- Participants: 4 - 8 people
- Starting point: Uljua Cafe 16:00
- Starting time: 16:00 PM
- Duration: 7 hours with fishing guide
- Minimum age: 12 years
- Languages: English